Carnivorous Plant Newsletter is the official journal of The International Carnivorous Plant Society. It is dedicated to the distribution of knowledge about carnivorous plants, including information on cultivation, conservation, and related fields of botany. Carnivorous Plant Newsletter thrives only because of a steady stream of material from its readership. Members of the Society are encouraged to submit articles.
It may take up to a year for a contribution to be published. Any manuscript may be edited to some degree prior to publication. Concise and clear writing will result in the minimum number of editorial changes. Authors will be contacted only if the editorial modifications are significant. If your manuscript is a scientific work, the editors may request external peer reviews. If certain external peers should be excluded from the reviewing process, this must be stated in a cover letter.
Follow these guidelines when submitting contributions:
- All pieces must have titles.
- Include a list of the names of all the authors.
- Provide an email address for the corresponding author.
- Contributions should include postal addresses for all authors and e-mail addresses for at least the corresponding author. This information will be published unless requested otherwise. A common request is not to publish the street address of a private residence.
- All scientific contributions require a formal abstract. Other contributions of general interest can have an abstract or a short preview of the content in one or two sentences as the first paragraph of the text.
- Full citation of all references quoted in the text must be provided in a section following the text of the manuscript.
- All illustrations, diagrams, and tables must include descriptive captions. Include these captions at the end of your manuscript. For format style, follow the examples of recent articles in the Newsletter.
- Contributions should be submitted by email to firstname.lastname@example.org. E-mail messages must be less than 20 MB. If parts of the contribution are too large to send via e-mail, please contact the editor for alternatives.
- All submissions must be in electronic form.
- Document files should be in Microsoft Word (.docx), rich text format (.rtf), ASCII text (.txt) or the body of an email.
Images and Artwork. Quality photographs and original artwork may be submitted. High quality electronic images are best. Slides or prints are acceptable, but will not be returned, so only submit duplicates.
- Photos should be submitted electronically.
- Photo file names should be numbered so they match the figure legends on the manuscript.
- Photos without supporting text are discouraged.
- Images are printed either 5 inches (12.5 cm) or 21/2 inches (6 cm) wide. They should be cropped to remove extraneous distractions.
- Images should be about 1000 to 2400 pixels horizontally. This should result in a file size less than 4 megabytes.
- All material submitted for publication must be original and unpublished.
- If copyrighted material is submitted, it must be accompanied by a written expressed license to reproduce it in Carnivorous Plant Newsletter, signed by the copyright holder.
- Manuscripts which report on activities that involve field collection should specify the permits that were required to allow the work to be completed. If no permits (beyond, for example, simple park access passes, etc.) were required, a simple statement to that effect can be substituted. This information should be included at the end of the article, along with other “Acknowledgements”, if any. Examples are: “No special permits were required to visit the sites described in this paper”, “Permission to visit this site was given verbally by the owners,” “Permission to visit this site and collect plants was granted by Lassen Volcanic National Park, permit #LAVO-2005-SCI-0009.”
Submission of materials to Carnivorous Plant Newsletter for publication is with the understanding that the ICPS will retain nonexclusive unlimited rights to it. The materials may be republished on the ICPS world wide web site, or other ICPS publications (credit to the authors will always be given). Contact the editors for instructions if you wish to reprint an article that appeared in Carnivorous Plant Newsletter in another journal.
Send submissions and items intended for publication to:
If you do not have access to email, hard-copy may be mailed to
Bob Ziemer, Managing Editor
International Carnivorous Plant Society, Inc.
2121 N. California Blvd., Suite 290
Walnut Creek, CA 94596-7351