Lifetime Achievement Award
Adrian Slack (1933-2018) is the patron saint of those who love growing carnivorous plants. He grew plants in a variety of settings in England, developing expertise on these plants through his own experimentation, and through communications with other growers. This was really in the early times of carnivorous plant growing, when so little was known.
Slack was founder of Marston Exotics nursery. His displays won 5 gold medals at the prestigious Chelsea Flower Show.
In time, he wrote two books on carnivorous plants (Carnivorous Plants, in 1979; Carnivorous Plants and How to Grow Them, in 1986). These two books were instant classics. The following generations of carnivorous plant growers turned to them time and time again to glean whatever hints they could.
He was commemorated in life by Drosera slackii and Sarracenia ‘Adrian Slack'. Both plants are as flamboyant as he was.
Tributes published in CPN
- Savage Garden: Slack-potting the dewy pine — D'Amato, Peter (PDF)
- Cultivars developed by Adrian Slack — Meyers-Rice, Barry (PDF)
- Drosera slackii - A living jewel from South Africa — Gibson, Robert (PDF)
- Favorite Anecdotes on Adrian Slack — Cantley, Robert and Martin Cheek and Paul F. Gardner and Phill Mann and Barry Meyers-Rice and Norman Parker and Paul Temple (PDF)
- New Cultivars — Hanrahan, Bob and Peter D'Amato and Barry-Meyers-Rice and Jan Flisek and John Hummer (PDF)
- Adrian Slack (1933-2018) — Nigel Hewitt-Cooper and Paul Gardner and Paul Temple and Dennis Balsdon (PDF)
- Farewell to Adrian Slack — Barry Rice (PDF)
Sarracenia 'Adrian Slack'